Thursday, February 16, 2012

Romance Gem

Today's gem honors this month of love.  While going thru boxes this week I found an old envelope.  Upon opening it I discovered two letters in my grandfathers handwriting.  At first I was unsure who they were addressed to and assumed it was my mom.  But as I began reading, I quickly realized they were written to my grandmother and were dated 1946.  The first was a letter he wrote to her before they were married.  In it he wrote about how much he loved her and couldn't wait to be married. The second was written just two weeks before they married and included instructions about what needed to happen on grandma's end since grandpa was still in the military.

I won't give away all the secrets of the letters but share a couple of my favorite lines: "Did I ever tell you that I love you my Darling.  My life seems empty when I am away from you sweetheart.  I can hardly wait until we will be together for always."   

I am not sure where mom got the letters, but my guess is she inherited them after grandma passed away.  In my mind grandma held onto them for roughly 30 years.  My hope is to keep them for my children to some day see how their great grandparents loved one another.


No comments: