Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Godchildren


I have been posting a lot this summer on Facebook about my amazing god children.  Between graduations and birthdays and visits there has been much to share.  I have three god children: Ben (17), Colin (15) and Kasey (11).  We’ve been fortunate enough to know each other (as least the boys) for about 12 years (and Kasey her whole life).  I knew them before they could read!  What a joy it has been all these years to call them family; to be “like” a third parent to them. 

It was before Kasey was born that I had fallen for their family.  I was working with their dad at a Christian camp in Washington State.  This allowed us to be neighbors, and put our lives in messy community.  After their youngest was born, Mike and Jennifer--their parents--decided they wanted god parents for their children; and the real shocker was they wanted me.

At the time, I was a young 24 year old single girl.  The decor in my home (that I didn’t own) was left over mixed and matched furniture, most of which I had gotten for free. I regularly ate Easymac and Burritos for dinner.  I had only met the Lord 5 years before and I still had a very small view of what the world had in store for me.  Why on earth they chose me to help lead their children is still a mystery. 



We talked a lot about what being a god parent meant to each of us and I thought and prayed for a bit.  Given my youth and the fact I am not a blood relative, my role would be a little different than what a “modern god parent” has come to be known as.  If something happened to “mom and dad,” I would not become legal guardian of these sweet children.  However, beginning right there and then and moving forward (even in the event of losing mom and dad) I would be actively involved in their spiritual direction.  It was not a task I have ever taken lightly.

Now all these years later, I have seen my god children grow and become healthy adolescents.  We’ve lived in different states and time zones and since leaving the camp in 2002, we’ve never again been neighbors.  We’ve also all grown and as our lives have  changed it’s been harder to find time to be face to face.  But these hurdles have not stopped us.  We still make time for one on one visits, family visits, rites of passage, and thanks to cell phones and Facebook, I have a new way to communicate with the children directly!

This fall, Ben is headed off to his first year of college.  It’s a big step for him and for those who love him.  As his parents adjust and learn what it’s like to be the parent of an adult, I am trying to figure out what it means to be the god parent of an adult.  I know that it’s been probably 10 years since I have seen my god parents and I know I don’t want that to be the case with these him or his siblings. 





It takes a lot of work and commitment to be a god parent.  It’s not for the faint of heart.  While we have made jokes over the years that I have not “provided” for them a god father (I now secretly hope they don’t get married before me!), I am so thankful they’ve let me love them.  I pray as our relationship continues to evolve, we will always be a part of each others lives.

1 comment:

Scott Brewer said...

Amy, I love you and I love the Purcells. Thanks for the reflections. In the years that I've known you I've always been grateful for the woman God has been shaping your life to be. The Purcells made a good choice.