Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

2012 was a really good year. I recently sent a letter to some friends recapping it. Seems easier to just post it here instead of re-writing everything. BUT...there's one update. My precious nephew, Gavin was born just before the end of the year 12/21/12.

Happy New Year 2013!


What a year 2012 has been. It has perhaps been the most surprising year of my life. In order to talk about 2012, we’d first have to talk about the end of 2011. In Fall of last year, I made a decision to overhaul my professional life. I was fast tracking to high-level management but was increasingly unhappy. I wrestled with it for months; anxious I as I considered leaving the security of the corporate world and trusting God to take care of me. Finally, my last day of work was set: December 15th. The plan was to begin 2012 with a focus on fulfilling my life’s dream of being a professional writer. I knew not exactly what that meant, but trusted God and moved forward.

As I made this plan I had no idea the other changes that lie ahead. On that same day (12/15), the day before my 36th birthday, mom passed away. She had gone into cardiac arrest a couple days prior and medical professionals were unable to revive her. Suddenly, like a big bully, this loss overshadowed everything else.

Needless to say 2012 kicked off slowly and in grief. As the Executor of mom’s estate the first several months were filled with taking care of her life business, processing through the loss and a lot of rest. I was in no hurry to find work and the process seemed tantamount. God provided for me, giving me time and space to do the work required.

As the weather changed and the sun came back out, I began to come out of my fog and joined life again.  I started getting more writing “gigs” and was looking more deliberately for a part time job to supplement my income.  I still wasn’t working much, but was beginning to fill my time volunteering, watching friends’ kids and trying to enjoy the freedom I had been granted. I knew it wouldn’t be long before I was busy again!

The summer was filled with several fun activities and a lot of time out of town, primarily at beaches.  I took on my first official “editing” job for a magazine and then another for a book.  By the end of the summer, I finally accepted a job at a local bank as a part time teller (one of those jobs I had always wanted to try), finished up the book project and accepted a position to be the Editor-in-Chief at a trade magazine for Christian Camping professionals (a great combination of two loves!).

Today I find myself back to working full time between the bank, freelance work and the magazine.  God has provided more editing than writing opportunities, but I really enjoy editing, so it’s fine with me!  

I am still living in Portland, Or and plan to stay here for at least the near future. I love my church and have been getting increasingly involved and have started facilitating a grief group which I believe is honing my compassion for those who have experienced loss. My 3 awesome god-children are becoming men and women before my eyes and I count myself blessed to be witness to it.

This December I am awaiting the birth of my first nephew (Jimmy and his wife-due 12/22), preparing for the anniversary of mom’s death and wondering what 2013 will bring.  I have high hopes for God’s provision. I confidently let go of any plans I have and trust Him.  He has proven over and over again this year His love for me. 

I pray your year has gone well and my prayers are with you for the coming year.  May you feel the love of the Savior and what it cost Him to be born in a manger.

No comments: